Interactive Effects of Endurance Training and Crocin on Aerobic Capacity, Dietary Intake and Weight of High-Fat Diet- Induced Type 2 Diabetic Rats
Objective: Diabetes and obesity are closely related with each other. The purpose of this study was to investigate the interactive effects of endurance training and crocin on aerobic capacity, weight and diet in high fat diet and streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.
Methods: In this experimental study, 49 adult diabetic rats (induced by high-fat diet and venous injection of streptozotocin) were randomly assigned to (1) high intensity interval training (HIIT), (2) low intensity continuous training(LICT), (3) HIIT and crocin consumption, (4) LICT and crocin consumption, (5) crocin consumption, (6) sham and (7) control. HIIT and LICT groups exercised on a rodent treadmill for eight weeks, three sessions per week, with an intensity of 80- 85, and 50- 55 percent of maximum speed, respectively, and crocin consumption groups received peritoneally 25 mg/kg of crocin each day for eight weeks. The data were analyzed by independent sample t-test, dependent sample t-test, two-way analysis of variance and Bonferroni's post hoc tests (p≤0.05).
Results: Eight weeks of endurance training had a significant effect on weight loss, dietary intake and increased aerobic capacity (p≤0.05). Crocin consumption and endurance training have interactive effects on weight loss (p≤0.05) However, this interaction is not significant in increasing aerobic capacity and dietary intake. (p≥0.05).
Conclusions: It seems that endurance training and crocin consumption have interactive effects on weight loss in high fat diet and streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.
2. Eckel R H, Kahn S E, Ferrannini E, Goldfine A B, Nathan D M, Schwartz M W, SmithS R. Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes: What Can Be Unified and What Needs to Be Individualized?.Clin Endocrinol Metab.2011; 96(6): 1654–1663.
3. Askari M, Hosseini S. Effect of Hydroalcoholic Extracts of Anethum graveolens L. with Swimming Training on Lipid Profile of Diabetic Rats. Horizon Med Sci . 2016; 22 (4) :345-351.
4. Teimoori A, Rahmani-nia F, Mirzaei B, TajBakhsh R. The effects of aerobic training with orlistate on insulin resistance and lipid profile in obese men. Metabolism and Exercise. 2017; 6(2): 137-151.
5. Hashemi H S, Hosseini S A. The effect of moderate intensity endurance training and lipid lowering genistein in Streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Shahrekord Univ Med Sci. 2017; 19 (1) :10-23.
6. Haghjoo M, zar A, Hoseini S A. The Effect of 8 weeks Zumba Training on Women’s Body Composition with Overweight. jmj. 2016; 14 (2):21-30.
7. Khademosharie M, Amiri Parsa T, Hamedinia M R, Azarnive M A, Hosseini-Kakhk S A R. Effects of two aerobic training protocols on Vaspin, Chemerin and lipid profile in women with type 2 diabetes. Iran South Med J. 2014; 17 (4) :571-581
8. Hosseini S A, Nikbakht H, Azarbayjani M. The Effect of Aqua Extract of Saffron with Resistance Training on Glycemic Indexes of Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Rats. Armaghane danesh. 2013; 18 (4):284-294.
9. Asgari Hazaveh D, Riyahi Malayeri S, Babaei S. Effect of Eight Weeks High Intensity Interval Training and Medium Intensity Interval Training and Aloe vera Intake on Serum Vaspin and Insulin Resistance in Diabetic Male Rats. J Arak Uni Med Sci. 2018; 20 (11):67-75
10. Adibfar E, Hoseini S, Salehi O, Farkhaie F, Shah hosseini P. Lipid Lowering Effects of Saffron Aqua Extract in Diabetic Rats. Report of Health Care. 2016; 2(3): 9-18.
11. Tajik A, Zirahian F, Shahabi H, Kalani F. Effects of Exercise Training and Saffron Extract on some of the Predictors of Cardiovascular Diseases. JSSU. 2017; 25 (9) :690-700.
12. Ghotbeddin Z, Fatemi-Tabatabaei S R, Tabandeh M R, Mirzabeigi M, Badripour N, Amiri R. Effect of crocin on inhibitory avoidance memory, balance and explorative behaviours following cisplatin administration in rat. Feyz. 2017; 21 (2) :118-125.
13. Khalafi M, Shabkhiz F, Azali Alamdari K, Bakhtiyari A. Irisin Response to Two Types of Exercise Training in Type 2 Diabetic Male Rats. AMUJ. 2016; 19(6): 37-45.
14. Asri-Rezaei S, Tamaddonfard E, Ghasemsoltani-Momtaz B, Erfanparast A, Gholamalipour S. Effects of crocin and zinc chloride on blood levels of zinc and metabolic and oxidative parameters in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.Avicenna J Phytomed. 2015; 5 (5): 403- 12.
15. Hoseini R, Babaei P, Damirchi A. The Effect of Different Doses of Vitamin D Supplementation on Insulin Resistance in ovariectomized rats. J Birjand Univ Med Sci.. 2016; 23 (1):11-20.
16. Farshid AA, Tamaddonfard E, Moradi-Arzeloo M, Mirzakhani N. The effects of crocin, insulin and their co-administrationon the heart function and pathology in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.Avicenna J Phytomed, 2016; 6 (6): 658-670.
17. HAZMAN O, AKSOY L, BÜYÜKBEN A. Effects of crocin on experimental obesity and type-2 diabetes. Turk J Med Sci. 2016; 46: 1593-1602.
18. Olson T, Dengel DR, Leon AS, Schmitz KH. Changes in inflammatory biomarkers following one-year of moderate resistance training in overweight womenInt J Obes.2007; 31(6): 996-1003.
19. He SY, Qian ZY, Wen,N, Tang FT, Xu GL, Zhou CH. Influence of crocetin on experimental atherosclerosis in hyperlipidamic-diet quails. Eur J Pharmacol.2007; 554(2): 191-5.
20. Mohajeri D, Rezaie A, Mousavi G, Mazani M, Rezaei-Moghadam A. Protective Effects of Crocin on Hepatic Steatosis in the Rats Fed with High Fat Diet. J Ardabil Univ Med Sci. 2012; 12 (2) :173-189
21. Abedimanesh N, Bathaie S Z, Abedimanesh S, Motlagh B, Separham A, Ostadrahimi A. (). Saffron and crocin improved appetite, dietary intakes and body composition in patients with coronary artery disease. J Cardio Thoracic Res.2017; 9(4): 200–208.
22. Mashmou M,Azrina A, Barakatun N,Mohd Y, Huzwah Kh, Norhafizah M, Boroushaki M T. Effects of saffron extract and crocin on anthropometrical, nutritional and lipid profile parameters of rats fed a high fat diet. Food Funct. May 2014; 8: 180-187
23. Sadoughi S D. Comparing the effect of safranal and crocine on serum levels of adiponectin lipid profile and glucose in healthy and type one diabetic rats.pars Journal of medical Sicence.2017;15(3):49-58.
24. Atashak S, Batourak K, Azizbeigi K. The effect of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise training on metabolic syndrome factors and acylated ghrelin in middle- age women. RJMS. 2017; 24(159):10-20.
25. Mirhosseini M, Esfarjani F, Marandi M, Khalilzadeh S, Mirhosseini H. The Effect of Yoga Exercise on Parameters of Type II Diabetes. JSSU. 2014; 22 (1):880-891
26. GHolizade M, Kordi M R, Akbarnezhad A. Comparison of two high intensity interval training for two weeks on fat oxidation,body fat percentage and Vo2max in overweight young males. J of education and community health.2016;10 (3) :48-52
27. Teimoori M, Rahmani-nia F, Mirzaei B, Tajbakhsh R. The effect of aerobic training with orlistate on insulin resistance and lipid profile in obse man. Metabol &exercise. 2016;6(2):138-151.
28. Mirhosseini M, Esfarjani F, Marandi M, Khalilzadeh S, Mirhosseini H. The Effect of Yoga Exercise on Parameters of Type II Diabetes. JSSU. 2014; 22(1):880-891.
29. Hosseini M, Akbari gora F. Effect of Eight Weeks Intermittent Medium Intensity Training with Curcumin Intake on Serum Levels of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 in Menopause Fat Rats. JRUMS. 2017; 16(5):409-420.
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.