The effects of eight weeks of aerobic exercise and resveratrol supplementation on oxidative stress markers in women with metabolic syndrome
Objectives: The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of eight weeks aerobic exercises and resveratrol supplementation on oxidative stress markers in women with metabolic syndrome.
Methods: A double-blind study was carried out with participation of 32 overweight women with metabolic syndrome. The participants were randomly categorized into four groups of aerobic exercise, resveratrol supplement, and exercise plus the supplement and control. The exercise protocol was eight weeks long with three 60 min sessions every week. The supplement and placebo used in the study were 400 mg/day. The malondialdehyde and total antioxidant capacity serum levels were measured at the beginning and end of the study.
Results: The results of statistical analysis showed that the eight weeks aerobic exercise led to a significant decrease in malondialdehyde and a significant increase in total antioxidant capacity in the exercise, exercise plus supplement, and resveratrol supplement groups compared to control group with greater effect in exercise plus supplement group.
Conclusion: Using resveratrol supplement along with aerobic exercises can be effective in attenuating oxidative stress. Further studies with larger sample size are needed to confirm these results.
2. Topić E, Blaton V. New trends in classification, monitoring and management of metabolic syndrome. Dubrovnik. 2006.
3. Salehi P, Hasani M, Fallah M, Hosseini F, Mirmiran P. Association of Dietary Fatty Acids Intakes From Various Food Groups With Metabolic Syndrome In Tehrani Adults. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2018;12(4):1-12.
4. Seyyedebrahimi S, Khodabandehloo H, Esfahani EN, Meshkani R. The effects of resveratrol on markers of oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Acta diabetologica. 2018;55(4):341-53.
5. Grattagliano I, Palmieri VO, Portincasa P, Moschetta A, Palasciano G. Oxidative stress-induced risk factors associated with the metabolic syndrome: a unifying hypothesis. The Journal of nutritional biochemistry. 2008;19(8):491-504.
6. Koziróg M, Poliwczak AR, Duchnowicz P, Koter‐Michalak M, Sikora J, Broncel M. Melatonin treatment improves blood pressure, lipid profile, and parameters of oxidative stress in patients with metabolic syndrome. Journal of pineal research. 2011;50(3):261-6.
7. Yokota T, Kinugawa S, Yamato M, Hirabayashi K, Suga T, Takada S, et al. Systemic oxidative stress is associated with lower aerobic capacity and impaired skeletal muscle energy metabolism in patients with metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care. 2013:DC_121161.
8. Jahani G, Firoozrai M, Matin Homaee H, Tarverdizadeh B, Azarbayjani M, Movaseghi G, et al. The effect of continuous and regular exercise on erytrocyte antioxidative enzymes activity and stress oxidative in young soccer players. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences. 2010;17(74):22-32.
9. Nikkherad J, Khameneh A, Malekirad A, Hooripasand E. Serum antioxidative and oxidative stress biomarkers response to short-term caffeine (1, 3, 7-trimethylxanthine) supplementation and one session of aerobic exercise in active males. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2016;11(2):55-63.
10. Gharib M, Samani K, Zarrinǻbadi Z, Mokhtari M, Heydarian E. Effect of resveratrol supplementation on antioxidant parameters, lipids profile and several biochemical indices in type 2 diabetic patients: a double-blind randomized-controlled clinical trial. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2018;12(4):33-42.
11. Liu K, Zhou R, Wang B, Mi M-T. Effect of resveratrol on glucose control and insulin sensitivity: a meta-analysis of 11 randomized controlled trials–. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2014;99(6):1510-9.
12. Malekyian-Fini E K-NA, Mahmoudi F. The interactive effect of aerobic training and resveratrol supplementation on C-reactive protein and metabolic profiles in women with type 2 diabetes. Feyz. 2015;9(5):372-81.
13. Samsami M, Daryani N, Rezanejad P, Hekmatdoost A. Effects of oral resveratrol supplementation on inflammation and quality of life in patients with ulcerative colitis. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2014;9(1):93-102.
14. Soveyd N, Abdolahi M, Djalali M, Hatami M, Tafakhori A, Sarraf P, et al. The combined effects of ω-3 fatty acids and nano-curcumin supplementation on intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) gene expression and serum levels in migraine patients. CNS & Neurological Disorders-Drug Targets (Formerly Current Drug Targets-CNS & Neurological Disorders). 2017;16(10):1120-6.
15. Abdolahi M, Sarraf P, Javanbakht MH, Honarvar NM, Hatami M, Soveyd N, et al. A Novel Combination of ω-3 Fatty Acids and Nano-Curcumin Modulates Interleukin-6 Gene Expression and High Sensitivity C-reactive Protein Serum Levels in Patients with Migraine: A Randomized Clinical Trial Study. CNS & Neurological Disorders-Drug Targets (Formerly Current Drug Targets-CNS & Neurological Disorders). 2018;17(6):430-8.
16. Abdolahi M, Tafakhori A, Togha M, Okhovat AA, Siassi F, Eshraghian MR, et al. The synergistic effects of ω-3 fatty acids and nano-curcumin supplementation on tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α gene expression and serum level in migraine patients. Immunogenetics. 2017;69(6):371-8.
17. Mittler R. Oxidative stress, antioxidants and stress tolerance. Trends in plant science. 2002;7(9):405-10.
18. Yubero-Serrano EM, Delgado-Lista J, Pena-Orihuela P, Perez-Martinez P, Fuentes F, Marin C, et al. Oxidative stress is associated with the number of components of metabolic syndrome: LIPGENE study. Experimental & molecular medicine. 2013;45(6):e28.
19. Sedighiyan M, Abdolahi M, Taheri E, Qorbani M, Omidian P, Hosseini S. The French Maritime Pine Bark Extract Reduce Metabolic Syndrome Risk and Improve Body Composition in Obesity: A New Clinical Approach. Acta Medica Iranica. 2018;56(3):196-203.
20. Farzanegi P, Habibian M, Kaftari A. Effect of 6-weeks aerobic exercise training on oxidative stress and enzymatic antioxidants in postmenopausal women with hypertension: Case Study. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2014;23(108):134-6.
21. Xiao N-N. Effects of resveratrol supplementation on oxidative damage and lipid peroxidation induced by strenuous exercise in rats. Biomolecules & therapeutics. 2015;23(4):374.
22. Mathieu L, Costa AL, Le Bachelier C, Slama A, Lebre A-S, Taylor RW, et al. Resveratrol attenuates oxidative stress in mitochondrial Complex I deficiency: Involvement of SIRT3. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2016;96:190-8.
23. Farinha JB, Steckling FM, Stefanello ST, Cardoso MS, Nunes LS, Barcelos RP, et al. Response of oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers to a 12-week aerobic exercise training in women with metabolic syndrome. Sports medicine-open. 2015;1(1):19.
24. Rahbar S, Ahmadiasl N. Effect of long term regular resistance exercise on heart function and oxidative stress in rats. Journal of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences. 2012;12(3):256-64.
25. Chevion S, Moran DS, Heled Y, Shani Y, Regev G, Abbou B, et al. Plasma antioxidant status and cell injury after severe physical exercise. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2003;100(9):5119-23.
26. Robertson J, Maughan R, Duthie G, Morrice P. Increased blood antioxidant systems of runners in response to training load. Clinical science. 1991;80(6):611-8.
27. Abdolahi M, Jafarieh A, Sarraf P, Sedighiyan M, Yousefi A, Tafakhori A, et al. The Neuromodulatory Effects of ω-3 Fatty Acids and Nano-Curcumin on the COX-2/iNOS Network in Migraines: A Clinical Trial Study from Gene Expression to Clinical Symptoms. Endocrine, metabolic & immune disorders drug targets. 2019.
28. Cunningham P, Geary M, Harper R, Pendleton A, Stover S. High intensity sprint training reduces lipid peroxidation in fast-twitch skeletal muscle. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online. 2005;8(6).
29. Saberi Y, Ghorbanian B, Ansari P. The effect of sesamine and aerobic exercise on plasma levels of total antioxidant capacity and glutathione peroxidase in athlete men. Tehran University Medical Journal. 2017;75(7):521-9.
30. Gharakhanlou R, Afzalpour ME, Gaeini AA, Rahnama N. Effects of aerobic exercises on the serum paraoxonase 1/arylesterase activity and lipid profile in non-active healthy men. International Journal of Sports Science and Engineering. 2007;1:105-12.
31. Venojärvi M, Korkmaz A, Wasenius N, Manderoos S, Heinonen OJ, Lindholm H, et al. 12 Weeks’ aerobic and resistance training without dietary intervention did not influence oxidative stress but aerobic training decreased atherogenic index in middle-aged men with impaired glucose regulation. Food and chemical toxicology. 2013;61:127-35.
32. Bo S, Ponzo V, Ciccone G, Evangelista A, Saba F, Goitre I, et al. Six months of resveratrol supplementation has no measurable effect in type 2 diabetic patients. A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pharmacological research. 2016;111:896-905.